This savory strudel marries the full flavor of sheep’s cheese from the Pyrenees with sauteed mushrooms and leeks.
By Joanna Pruess
See other related recipes in Beyond Mac and Cheese: Using Finer Cheeses Without Breaking the Bank.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Cooking time: 35 minutes, plus baking and standing time
Shelf life: 3 days unbaked and refrigerated; 1 day baked
½ pound each baby bella and white mushrooms, wiped and stems removed
2 tablespoons fragrant olive oil
2 ounces thinly sliced white and pale green parts of a leek (1 large or 2 medium)
4 ounces (1 cup) freshly grated sheep’s milk cheese, such as Brébis from the French Pyrenees
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt, if needed
freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons melted butter
3 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the baby bella and white mushrooms and pulse until fairly finely chopped. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium, heat the olive oil. Add the leek and saute until limp and golden, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have given up their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Scrape into a medium bowl and set aside until cooled, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 375 F.
4. Once the mushroom mixture is cool, stir in the cheese, marjoram, thyme and mustard. Add the salt, if needed, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
5. Brush a jellyroll pan with a little butter. On a clean towel, lay one sheet of phyllo horizontally, brush with butter and sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons of the crumbs; repeat with the second sheet. Lay the third sheet on the others but do not brush with butter. Spoon the mushroom mixture in a thick strip along one long edge of the phyllo, leaving a ½-inch border on the shorter sides. Roll the phyllo up tightly, turning in the sides, and place it seam-side down in the pan. Brush with the remaining butter and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 30 minutes. Remove and let stand for at least 5 minutes before cutting into slices with a serrated knife.
NUTRITIONAL DATA (per serving): Calories: 200; Cholesterol: 15 mg; Sodium: 240 mg; Fat: 12 g; Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Ingredient Cost Sheets
|½ pound each baby bella and white mushrooms, wiped and stems removed||$2.69-4.49|
|2 tablespoons fragrant olive oil||$.18-.30|
|2 ounces thinly sliced white and pale green parts of a leek (1 large or 2 medium)||$.70-1.16|
|4 ounces (1 cup) freshly grated sheep’s milk cheese, such as Brébis from the French Pyrenees||$5.25-8.75|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram leaves||$.07-.12|
|1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves||$.05-.08|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard||$.06-.10|
|5 tablespoons melted butter||$.25-.42|
|3 sheets phyllo dough, thawed||$.53-.88|
|¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs||$.08-.14|