Double Chocolate Loaf Cake loaded with chocolate chunks then topped with a creamy chocolate ganache icing! Perfect for any chocolate lover, it’s moist, buttery, and extremely rich and chocolatey. Ready in just about an hour, this Double Chocolate Loaf Cake is great for any occasion!
Nothing beats a slice of chocolate cake. This Double Chocolate Loaf Cake is one of my favorite desserts! Perfectly moist, dense, and super-rich with a nice thick topping of chocolate ganache.
This chocolate loaf cake recipe is perfect for any occasion! This quick chocolate loaf cake takes just 10 minutes to prep and is perfect for the holidays, get-togethers, pot lucks, and just because! It could even be an easy birthday cake recipe for a chocolate lover. Just add some sprinkles (before the ganache is set) and candles and you’ll have a tasty cake for the big day!
To achieve the dense, soft texture in this chocolate pound cake loaf I added sour cream and substituted some of the granulated sugar for brown sugar. The sour cream adds both moisture and a slight tangy flavor to the double chocolate chip loaf cake. The added brown sugar also increases the flavor so much more than just using white sugar.
After the cake cools I spread a generous layer of chocolate ganache on top, because who doesn’t like a little extra chocolate?! The chocolate ganache is very simple. I just whisked together powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla, and milk. Once the chocolate ganache has set slice and enjoy!
Ingredients for Double Chocolate Loaf Cake
The full ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
Double Chocolate Loaf Cake
- Butter: You can’t bake a good chocolate loaf without butter! It adds flavor and richness. So necessary!
- Sugar: Both brown and white. White sugar just adds sweetness, whereas brown sugar adds a slight caramel flavor too.
- Eggs: Eggs bind everything together and help the double chocolate loaf cake to rise
- Sour cream: Adds moisture and a slight tang that is oh-so-addictive!
- Baking soda: Baking soda also helps the cake to rise.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Creates an irresistible rich chocolate flavor!
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: You can use either semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
- Coffee: I added some hot coffee to really bring out the chocolate flavor. Coffee and chocolate just go SO well together!
- Sugar: I used powdered sugar to achieve the smoothest ganache possible. Granulated sugar will make it grainy, so avoid if possible.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: This adds a rich, chocolatey flavor!
- Vanilla: Just a hint of vanilla for an extra flavor layer to this chocolate ganache.
- Milk: Milk mixed with the dry ingredients turns it all into the ganache sauce. Using milk instead of heavy cream makes the sauce much lighter!
How to make this Chocolate Pound Cake Loaf
Cream the butter and sugar: First, after preheating the oven and greasing the pan, in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until combined and fluffy. This takes about 2-3 minutes.
Add the wet ingredients: Add in eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl between each addition. Next, add in vanilla and sour cream and mix until incorporated.
Mix and add the dry ingredients: In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder. In two additions add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer and mix just until combined (do not over mix)
Add hot liquids: Add the hot coffee or hot water to the stand mixer and beat on high for 1 minute.
Fold in chocolate chips: Fold in chocolate chips by hand and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake and cool: Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs is fine). Place the cake on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the ganache: While waiting for the chocolate loaf to cool, add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Top with ganache: Once the cake is completely cool, run a knife along the sides to remove the cake. Pour the ganache on top and wait until the ganache has firmed up before slicing.
Tips for making this loaf cake recipe extra soft and moist:
- Use room temperature ingredients: Bring the eggs, sour cream, and butter to room temperature before adding them in.
- Add hot coffee: This will help break the sugar down so that the batter is perfectly smooth and silky, and not grainy.
- Whip on high: When I’ve finished adding the cake batter ingredients, I turn the mixer to the highest speed and whip the cake batter for a minute. This helps to get any last clumps as well as adds air to the batter.
Storage & Freezing
- Store: In an airtight container in the refrigerator or on the counter for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: Freeze this double chocolate loaf cake for up to 3 months in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator.
Here are more loaf cake recipes to try!
- Gingerbread Loaf
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
Double Chocolate Loaf Cake
Double Chocolate Loaf Cake loaded with chocolate chunks then topped with a creamy chocolate ganache icing!
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup hot coffee or hot water
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 pan with cooking spray.
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until combined and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
Add in eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl between each addition.
Next add in vanilla and sour cream and mix until incorporated.
In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda and cocoa powder.
In two additions add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer and mix just until combined (do not over mix)
Add the hot coffee or hot water to the stand mixer and beat on high for 1 minute.
Fold in chocolate chips by hand and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs is fine)
Place the cake on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Once cool run a knife along the sides to remove the cake.
Pour the ganache on top and wait until ganache has firmed up before slicing. (About an hour)
Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Double Chocolate Loaf Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories 501 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7g44%
Vitamin A 139IU3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.