Comforting and hearty, this crockpot chicken noodle soup is so easy to make, and right in the slow cooker. Let the house fill with the most wonderful aroma knowing a cozy dinner is on the way!
Crockpot Chicken and Noodles
When the cold weather sets in there’s nothing quite like a big bowl of soup to warm you up and is there any soup more classic than chicken noodle soup? What makes this one even better is the fact that it’s made completely in a slow cooker or crockpot.
This flavorful soup is as easy as throwing ingredients straight into the slow cooker and just letting it do it’s thing, while you’re off running errands or maybe even putting your feet up. You deserve it. Towards the end of the cooking time, you’ll just shred the chicken and add some dried pasta and it’ll be ready for the table in another 30 minutes.
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
- Chicken: While I’ve used chicken breast here, thighs will work too. Remove the skin and any excess fat as this could leave an unsightly scum on top of the soup when it’s done.
- Onion, Celery, Carrot, Garlic: This 4 ingredient vegetable combination gives most of the flavor base to the soup. It’s a classic combo for a reason.
- Chicken Stock: All chicken stocks are not equal. Make sure you purchase a good quality one as it will make a huge difference to the flavor of the soup. If the stock is completely clear, it likely doesn’t have the flavor we’re after here. Use a cloudier stock and notice the difference.
- Dried herbs: This version uses dried oregano and thyme which give a good herby flavor without being overpowering. You could use herbs like basil, sage or rosemary too but note rosemary will give a more intense herbiness to the soup.
- Salt & Pepper: It’s always important to season your soup. Add these in as per the recipe but taste test before serving and add a little more to your taste before serving if needed.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Perfect for a busy and cold day, this soup only has two steps and the longest amount of time you’ll need to spend on it is chopping vegetables and shredding chicken. It couldn’t be easier.
- Add vegetables, dried herbs, seasonings and chicken to a slow cooker and pour over the stock.
- Cook on low for 7 hours (or until the chicken can be easily shredded).
- Remove the chicken and shred it using two forks then add it back to the slow cooker.
- Break dried pasta, like fettucine or spaghetti, into 3 and add it to the slow cooker, leaving it on low.
- As different pastas are different thickness’ check to see if it’s done after 20 minutes but it should take no longer than 30 minutes.
Can I Add More Vegetables?
You can certainly add more vegetable to your slow cooker noodle soup. I wouldn’t change the base of celery, onion and carrot due to the flavor they impart though. Try adding some diced bell pepper along with them or adding frozen peas with the pasta at the end. Just know if they are still frozen, it will cool the soup down so you may need to cook it longer for the pasta to cook through.
If you want to get really fancy, saute some mushrooms in butter at any point during the day, keep them in the fridge and add them in the last ½ an hour. This is exactly what I do in my slow cooker beef stroganoff which also happens to work great with chicken thighs.
How to Store Leftovers
This is definitely best eaten fresh. The pasta will continue to swell and soften the longer it sits in the soup so will be much softer the next day. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you want to freeze the soup, it’s best to freeze it without the pasta, then cook the pasta up when you heat the soup.
More Recipes You Will Love
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Mini Grilled Cheese
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 7 hours 30 minutes
Total Time 7 hours 50 minutes
Author Marie Roffey
Servings 8 Servings
Comforting and hearty, this crockpot chicken noodle soup is so easy to make, and right in the slow cooker. Let the house fill with the most wonderful aroma knowing a cosy dinner is on the way.
skinless chicken breast
(approx 2 ½ cups)
(approx 2 cups)
(approx ¾ cup)
cloves garlic, minced
low sodium chicken stock
dried long pasta
like linguine, fettucine, spaghetti
- extra salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley to serve
Place everything except the pasta into the slow cooker – chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and chicken stock.
Cook on low for 7 hours (or until the chicken can be easily shredded).
Remove chicken and transfer to a plate or chopping board. Use two forks to shred apart the meat then return it to the slow cooker.
Break the pasta into thirds so the pieces are shorter and stir it into the soup. Place the lid back on and cook for another 20-30 minutes, until pasta is cooked. (notes 2).
Taste and add seasoning to taste. Serve immediately.
- You can also use chicken thigh. Make sure to remove the skin and any excess fat.
- Different pasta will take different lengths of time to cook. The thinner the pasta the quicker it will be.
Calories235kcal (12%)Carbohydrates23g (8%)Protein26g (52%)Fat4g (6%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Trans Fat1gCholesterol54mg (18%)Sodium784mg (33%)Potassium717mg (20%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A4613IU (92%)Vitamin C4mg (5%)Calcium46mg (5%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.